5 a Day, the Portuguese way

Hopefully by now you have heard of the 5 a day program, or at least have some idea to strive for 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily.  I just went to the old website, and discovered the CDC has a new website for this, so click here to check it out.

At Kono Pizza they serve fresh fruit juices, and at the very bottom I noticed a little 5 a day symbol, and this was the most I had heard of public health fruits and veggie initiatives on the island.  Well, that was until our trip to Modelo, think large grocery store, and one of the only chains on this island, with a whopping 2 locations.  We went to the larger of the two stores in Angra.  While there, I spotted this...
Now, if you are a dietitian like me, or even just health conscience, you are aware of displays like this in grocery stores.  I always check out what is being promoted for health.  Therefore, this stopped me dead in my tracks.  This sign more or less translates to eat fruits and vegetables, 5 each day.  There it was, big, big, big, hanging right over the giant produce section.  So yep, I grabbed my camera, and started snapping.  Here are some pictures of the produce section at a grocery store on a tiny island in the Atlantic ocean:


If you remember, our from scratch meal included red pepper, so while we were looking at them, we noticed this.  Never before have I seen produce blend so nicely at the edges.  Yes, there is a half green, half red pepper that is laying the right way between the two colors of peppers.
Since the theme for National Nutrition Month is from the ground up, I thought it was most appropriate to take pictures of the produce.  But, I also couldn't resist photographing the cheese section.  Let me remind everyone that this island is full of cows.  Dairy cows are abundant and fresh dairy is everywhere.  Many of these cheeses are local, if not to this island, to the other remaining 8 islands of the Azores.  If you like cheese, this is the place for you!

Ryan and I did come home with a small wheel of cheese and I will share those pictures soon.
QUESTIONS:  Are you familiar with the 5 a day program?  What is your favorite kind of cheese?

11 comments:

Beth said...

Oh cheese, there are so many glorious types, how can I pick just one to be my favorite? I think europeans must just like more variety of cheese than Americans, because there are always way more types of cheese there than here. And that's a GOOD thing!

Lauren @ Eater Not a Runner said...

My favorite cheese is Camembert for sure! That looks like an awesome supermarket ;-)

Mari said...

I love cheese so much! My favorite kind of cheese would have to be this yellow cheese from Dominican Republic that family has to smuggle into the states ha

FoodFitnessFreshair said...

Look like an impressive grocery store, especially for the island! I love love love brie cheese...so creamy and addicting!

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

you can stick me on a desert island with some cheese and i woudl be a happy girl! there are WAY to many to choose a favorite! I love goat and feta and fresh mozz in salads, but shreddeded cheese is SO good with eggs and on top of everything :)

MelissaNibbles said...

I love goat cheese!!

Unknown said...

MMM i love all cheese...except maybe muenster and provolone. I mean they are ok, just a little boring to me. Like cheese for non-cheese people.

Nicole, RD said...

I've heard that 5-a-day thing a time or two ;)

That cheese...sigh! I'd be way more envious if I weren't cooking with gruyere as I type ;)

Simply Life said...

I love that you showed pictures of the grocery store - it's my favorite place to go when traveling somewhere new! :)

Emily said...

Hopefully those great signs will encourage people to eat 5 a day! Your grocery store has some great produce and CHEESE!!! I love brie, especially baked brie. Sooo good.

Seattle DUI attorney said...

I've never heard of this program -- sounds interesting and healthy. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment