Death by Meat

Friday night a large group of Ryan's coworkers and families gathered for a going away dinner. The restaurant of choice: Death by Meat. Ok, it's really called Quebr Mar, located in Sao Mateus on the southwest side of the island. You know this is an extreme meat eating event when a group of guys refer to this place as Death by Meat. I didn't want to be the only one staying home, so this vegetarian got in the car and followed the caravan across the island for this dining experience.
I will start off with this great pic of the view from the front of the restaurant. I am doing this because the remainder of the pictures are, well how do I say this...MEATY!

Here we go, entering this place. It is really just a Brazillian steakhouse, but it is in Portugal so I am not sure if they actually would call it a Brazillian steakhouse. I guess maybe but I don't speak enough Portugese to know if the servers would refer to it as this.

We started of with the usual couvert (per person charge which includes bread and then sometimes cheese and olives). This time not only did we get bread, but also olives, cheese and some meaty puff pastries.
Here is the salad bar. Although I ordered off the menu I was still allowed to enjoy these options.


My plate. I saw the kiwi and actually picked it out from the watermelon since I really don't like watermelon for some reason. In the front of the plate are 2 cheeses. One tasted like fresh mozzarella and I ate it with the tomato. The other looks like pineapple so I was surprised when it tasted like Fontina cheese. This was really good cheese.
Here is Ryan's plate of goodies.
As it came close to showtime, they brought out rice and beans and then this plate. This is french fries and fried bananas.
Oh wow, this fried banana was delicious. Gotta love a healthy food made just the opposite.
Next came my food. I ordered fish off the menu. This fish is called Boca Negra. I can't remember what they tried to call it in English but they translated it to a fish name I had never heard of. This fish remains whole, although most skin is removed. The head is there at the top, so I removed this and just ate the fish from the bottom half. This fish was still on the bone and very very boney. But it was also very good.
Alright, let the meat begin. This was a 15 round meat eating fest. I am not kidding, 15 meats came around this table. I did not get pictures of all of them since at times we got up to get some fresh air outside. The place had no AC and was very humid. Also, I am guessing the ovens/grills from the meat made the place very warm.
The man walked around to everyone's plate and shaved/served the meat off the skewer. He went around the entire table and then 5-10 minutes later would come with the next round. It seemed maybe every 5 meats there was a longer pause or an "intermission". First up was chicken.

Ryan's piece of chicken
Pork wrapped in bacon

Like a sausage of some sort
Ok, here's where things get hazy. There were many cuts of beef and lamb going around. Still not 100% sure if goat ever came to the table. So I really do not know how to label these (and yes, please remember I am a vegetarian and really not up on my meat identification skills).



This was some sort of rib I believe

Ok, this is the last of the meat pictures. I think in the end we never made it to 15 meats. After 2-2 1/2 hours I think kids and adults too were getting antsy. Some people started ordering desserts while meats were still going around. Some guys had already given up on the meat. Or, maybe I just lost count and 15 meats did actually make it to the table. Who knows!
Here is the dessert case which. Everything looked so good.
I ordered the chocolate truffle. This is a hard chocolate shell surrounding a rich chocolate ice cream.
Here's the inside view.
Ryan skipped dessert and went for a meia da leite (pronounced may-a da late). I think it is like a latte or something but I was not a coffee expert before I left the States and I really don't know them in Portugese. This is a very common drink here. A little milk and espresso. I have never liked coffee, but in times of caffeine need I choose this. Of course I do add 2 sugars to it, but I am getting used to the flavor.
And to end the meal/dining event, the grilled pineapple is brought to the table and shaved right onto your plate.
What a delicious way to end a great meal. Even though I do not eat meat I still had a great time. There were a lot of people there and I think everyone had fun. If I had company in town that really liked meat I would bring them back here to eat.

QUESTION: Have you ever eaten at a Brazillian steakhouse? If yes, what did you think of the MEAT experience?

5 comments:

Emily said...

I've never been to a Brazilian steakhouse (or been to Brazil for that matter), but everything looks really fun and delish. That salad bar is amazing!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I have never experienced a Brazilian steakhouse, but it looks like a good time!! I'm not a huge meat eater, and I probably only eat about 3-4 ounces of meat a day, but sometimes I really enjoy a BIG piece of juicy meat (sorry...it's good!). I'm glad you still got to enjoy some great foods (olives, fried banana!!, and yummy desserts). And I take it you eat fish? I used to be a vegetarian and I always still ate fish, it's just almost a sin to give that goodness up!

Nicci said...

I love the Brazilian steakhouse we have down here. They seem to be pooping up everywhere,but I do enjoy the fresh gigantic salad bar they have. I don't eat as much red meat as I used too, but I still live the meat!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your evening sounds like quite an experience! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! :)

I eat very little meat, and I have never been to a Brazilian steakhouse. We have a good friend who always wants us to go; he loves meat and his face just lights up when he describes it... Your description makes me realize that I could probably order something else than the meat...

Anonymous said...

Oh Melinda! This meaty experience rivals my own experience finding ham in the supposedly vegetarian gazpacho. I'm glad that I'm not the only vegetarian in Europe frantically trying to navigate around the meat! Glad that you survived this experience intact!

I'm glad that Francine put us in touch, and I, too, will be interested to follow your blog! :)

Sara

Post a Comment