What to do on a rainy day

It is no secret that I have no idea what rain is like. I lived in Vegas for 5 years, so rain is the furthest thing from my mind. If you walk outside in Vegas and the sun isn't out, you do a double take, you stare into the sky and wonder where you are . So, I live on an island now. There is bound to be rain. And boy was there a lot of rain yesterday. My dog wouldn't even go outside. She is Vegas born and bred and thinks I am punishing her with water falling from the sky.
So my plans for yesterday were changed. I really just did not want to go out. I heard roads were flooding and people had to pull over. But I had things I wanted to do. So, I had to come up with an alternative game plan. Here is what I came up with instead.
For my birthday Ryan bought me a wii. This was because I would be at home and may get board. He also bought me the wii fit so I could exercise at home. We had limited weight coming here so out Bowflex and punching bag are in storage in the States. So here is what I did get a get a work out in at home since I was NOT going outside. Here are the two "games" for fitness. I like the wii fit and the yoga and balance games. I just started the wii active 3 days ago and I was trying out the 30 day challenge.

This is the wii fit balance board. This is used for some of the exercise activities. It registers your weight, movement and center of balance.

Here are the items that are used with the wii active personal trainer- the wii remote, nunchuck, resistance band and leg strap.
Here is my welcome screen. I selected the 3o day challange and my personal trainer sets up my work out for me.
Here is my work out journal.
This is my projected goals for this work out. I should burn 113.9 calories.
Here is my summary after my 33 minute work out. And I was sweating when I was done. Ok, ok the humidity doesn't help and makes the seating a little exagerated.
But you can see I exceeded my calorie burning goal. I am really not sure if this is even close to accurate. At least when I set up my profile I did enter height, weight and age.
So then it was time for lunch. I have some produce in the house that is coming up on going bad. So I decided to make a healthy sandwich. Here is my tasty bread. Whole grain and 4 grams of fiber a slice.
You can see the whole grains
And the seeds and flax on the outside.
So here is what i was trying to use up: cucumber, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.
And I just had to add a slice of cheese. My bread was frozen so I toasted it. Then I put the cheese on right away so it would melt a little. This is a cheese from the local grocer called quijo flamengo. I have no idea what kind it is, but it is sooooooo good. I love this cheese. It has holes like swiss but tastes different.
So I chopped up my veggies
Piled them on and added a tad of mustard, which is my favorite condiment
added the left over veggies as a salad on the side and drizzled them with a little basalmic, then tried to eat what I think might have been the world's tallest sandwich. but is was good though and very very filling.
Good thing the sandwich left me full. Dinner was not planned until 7-8 pm. There was a big going away party for Ryan's work and about 30 of us went out to dinner. It was an INSANE dining experience which will need a post all it's own, so I will save that for tomorrow or Monday. This weekend is a busy one so stay tuned for the rest of the fun.

QUESTION: What is your opinion of the wii for physical activity? What is the craziest sandwich you have ever made?


4 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I am not a huge fan of the Wii, but I have not played it enough to have a fare opinion. I think it's a good workout, but I'd have to incorporate more cardio into my exercise on occasion. I think the challenge sounds like fun, and it's very well organized! I would do it maybe 2 times a week, then more normal routine the rest of the days. But who knows, maybe it's a better workout than I imagine!

Craziest sandwich? I am boring when it comes to sandwiches. Last night I made a sandwich with cheese, egg, avocado and turkey bacon! That's not crazy though, is it? I'll have to get back to you on that one :)

Anonymous said...

I have seen the Wii Fit & Active on other blogs, and it looks like so much fun, especially the 30 Day Challenge! :) I was actually thinking of maybe getting it...

I can relate to it being hard to adjust to a lot of rain when you are not used to it. Actually, for me it was the other way around. I grew up in an area with LOTS of rain and then moved to an area with very little rain most of the year. It took me a long time to get used to no rain. And now it's hard for me to adjust to lots of rain when I go back home. I went back home during the summer a few years ago, and it rained for 2 weeks straight! I definitely wasn't used to that...

Emily said...

I think the Wii fit is a good option when you can't get outside. I've never tried it before, but it sounds like you got in a good workout.

chow and chatter said...

so sweet of him to get you a wii

Post a Comment