Just stuff it!

A few weeks ago, Emily from the Health Nut, made this post about tomatoes and cucumbers.  The first thing that came to my mind was Israel salad.  Almost every day when I was in Israel, I was given a tomato and a cucumber in my boxed lunch.  That was years ago, but it still remains vivid in my mind because I was surprised at how often they ate cucumbers and tomatoes.  So, it seems Emily inspired me to make a little Israeli salad for myself.  Actually, I made it just as tomatoes and cucumbers and left out red onion, and the dressing of lemon juice and olive oil.  I just wanted something refreshing to add to my meals, almost like a salsa.
So after dicing up my veggies, I had to decide what to do next.
That is when I decided to stuff it!

I LOVE my whole wheat pita pocket halves.  For lunch over the past week, I have been using my tomatoes and cucumbers as a topping for stuffed sandwiches.  This particular stuff pocket included mustard, soy crumbles, and the tomatoes and cucumbers on top.
This was a pocket with a lite Laughing Cow cheese spread inside, then I added a soy patty and topped with my tomatoes and cucumber.
I also did one filled with cream cheese, surimi "crab", and then the cucumbers and tomatoes, but I have no idea what happened to that picture.

Ryan even wanted to get in on the stuffin' action, so I made him a pita stuffed with eggs and tomato slices.  He said it was really good.
Not only did I have a busy week stuffin' my pitas, but I had a few other good eats too.

I enjoyed a nice bowl of oatmeal with raspberries and peanut butter.  It was really good with raspberries.  I am not sure why I never used them until now.  I always do blueberries or strawberries.
I had this can of Annie's all naural and organic stars, like spaghetti o's.  Now, just because this said all natural and organic does not make it a perfectly healthy meal choice.  It remains high in sodium and is lacking in some other nutrients.  I decided to add some Morning Star Farms soy crumbles to it for protein.  By then, there was too much for me to eat in one sitting, so I was happy that I also had something for lunch the next day all ready to go.
I also added some broccoli to my meal since dinner seemed to be lacking in vegetables, although it does have some lycopene in the tomato sauce.
QUESTIONS:  What do you like to stuff in a pita?  Have you ever fixed up a convenience food to make it a little more healthy?

Check out my post from this day last year: Dinner From the Sea, By the Sea

5 comments:

Simply Life said...

I love how fresh and healthy that looks!

Emily said...

Glad my post inspired you to make your delish salad again! You made some great pita sandwiches.

Definitely agree with your observation that organic doesn't always mean healthful!

Unknown said...

I like a breakfast sandwich in a pita...eggs and tomato is the way to go

...or hummus obviously :)

Anonymous said...

I am actually making gyros burgers this week - Ryan might like them - I stuff them in pitas with store bought tzatziki sauce - I used to make my own until my store started selling it for $1.99 a container!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I love the combination of tomatoes and cucumbers. They work so well together. I always used to add great salads to pitas, with feta cheese and italian dressing, and of course some type of meat (or like Ryan, Eggs!). Now that I don't eat wheat I haven't found any good wheat free pitas. I think I'll have to make some from scratch!

Post a Comment