The squash bandwagon

Ok, ok, it wasn’t hard to jump on this band wagon.  Actually for me it was a mater of having the squash available at the commissary.  I love squash and it makes fall just that much better.  I selected this recipe for one of my meals last week.  Don’t forget, I am still doing 2 dinners each week.  This time it was Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash from www.allrecipes.com.  Of course due to the availability of squash around here, by the time I went to get my acorn squash they were out and it was going to be a while before I would see any again.  So I improvised…see below.
DSC07164
Here are some of my ingredients.  I also subbed quinoa for the couscous to improve the nutritional value.
 DSC07163
Here is my squash option.  I bought this and had NO idea what this was.  Looks like a pumpkin…but only a little, and I did not think it was a pumpkin.  Thank heavens for my sister who is a squash expert.
Do you know what this is?
DSC07167

Within seconds of sending her this picture and telling her it tasted like sweet potato, she identified this for me.  This is a Red Kuri squash.  After looking it up on the internet, I see this is also called a Hokkaido which looks familiar and I think it may have said somewhere on the mixed squash sign at the commissary.  Since I was using these as boats for my quinoa, I cut it in half and baked it in the oven.
DSC07168
Then it was time to get to work on my quinoa filling.
DSC07169
DSC07170
I love that this had raisins and chickpeas.
DSC07171
Looks so good, and it smelled wonderful.
DSC07172
Then my squash were ready to be filled, after brushing with a little butter and brown sugar.
DSC07173
Oh yeah, that is a nice looking dinner.
DSC07174
This squash was so good, so if you see one, BUY IT!
DSC07175
My Thursday night dinner was a repeat, but I had to because Ryan really liked this and was still talking about the fish tacos.  I liked them a lot too so I couldn’t resist.  I know I wanted to do fish filets instead this time, but I went with the tilapia fish sticks again because they were not only easy, but really did taste good, just like the ones we used to get at a Mexican restaurant in Vegas.
DSC07176
DSC07177
 DSC07178
This is one dinner that is here to stay and I so happy because it is so easy to do.
DSC07179
QUESTIONS:  Have you jumped on the squash bandwagon?  Have you ever seen or tried a Red Kuri squash?  What is your favorite squash?

5 comments:

Emily said...

yay for the squash bandwagon! squash is so delicious this time of year.

your quinoa boats look like they were very delicious!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Your stuffed squash looks delicious! And, no, I have never had red kuri squash! I should really experiment more; there are such interesting squash varieties available, but I never really experiment. We have been eating a lot of spaghetti squash, butternut squash, and pumpkin.

Unknown said...

BUTTERNUT!!

Jessie said...

I'm glad you could find a squash at last! It never occurred to me before that you might have some trouble finding certain items on the island, but that makes perfect sense. I've never heard of red kuri squash, but it looks beautiful! Does it taste like acorn squash?

Peter and I have been chowing down on squash lately, but we've been mostly eating butternut, acorn, and delicata - not all that interesting :)

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Looks so pretty! I've never heard of kuri squash, but to me they are basically all the same anyway. I would stuff any type of squash, really. They always taste great with a good whole grain and extra veggies. And cheese :)

Post a Comment