Concert Inside a Volcano

Yes, you read that correctly, and I know you are wondering how exactly that is possible or why anyone would climb inside a volcano.

The island where I live is actually 4 volcanoes, all of which are inactive (LOL so they say, haha).  One of these formed in a way where the lava filled and then receded and I believe at the next eruption it actually broke through.  As a result, this lava tube formed and created a hollow space.  There are only 2 like this in the world, and only 1 of which you can enter, and it just happens to be a few miles from my house.
Because of the unique design of the cave (as they call it here, but it is a lava tube in a volcano), known as Algar do Carvao, music is often played inside because of the natural acoustics.  When we heard that a hang drum (this is the translation, but it is a type of hand drum) performer was set to play on a Friday night, we could not pass up the chance for a concert in a volcano.

I was impressed to see so many people show up for a concert here, but then again, we do not get much on the island in the way of entertainment.  It was a nice, clear day so I had to take a picture.  This is the first time I have been here and it has not had some fog (maybe the second time, but I swear it is a rare occurance).
 DSC08014
Here are some pictures from inside the cave.  Yes, it is hard to see, as we are in a cave/volcano.
DSC08015
DSC08016
DSC08019
Here is the guy getting his drum out.
DSC08021
Then it was time for him to start.  I believe he said he was from Austria.  I think the instrument itself is Swiss, but it was hard to make sense of the information.  He spoke to the crowd in English because he does not speak Portuguese.
DSC08025
Here are some videos of the music:




After the concert, which left us a little damp from the “leaky” cave walls, we ventured out for dinner.  Since we were halfway across the island, we went over to Angra, which is the capital.  The restaurant did not open until 7 pm, so we happily enjoyed a German beer at the bar.  Do not let this glass fool you, this was indeed a German beer.
DSC08033
I contemplated ordering the vegetarian dish because it is so rare to find a vegetarian section in a menu.  Sadly, I could not resist the fresh fish that I know I will miss when we leave the island. 
DSC08034
One thing I love about this restaurant is the items they bring while you wait for dinner.  There is an herbed butter, cheese and olives.
DSC08035
There is also goat cheese and pimento spread.
DSC08036
Plus, there is the nice warm bread to go with it all.
DSC08037
Ryan ordered a steak.  I love that the potato chips served with it are homemade.
DSC08039
I ordered the boca negra, AGAIN!  I love this fish and I am sure I will never see this again once we move from this base, mostly because I have no idea what it is in the US, if we even have it there at all.
DSC08040
Always nice to get a salad too.
DSC08041
QUESTIONS:  Have you ever been to a volcano?  Have you ever seen this kind of drum before?

For more about the volcano and other photos of this from another trip CLICK HERE!

8 comments:

Kristen (swanky dietitian) said...

Wow! This sounds so neat! I think it is great all the things you are doing while overseas!
Love that they brought you cheese and olives. yum!!!

Emily said...

That is such a cool concept! I'd love to attend a concernt INSIDE a volcano!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

This is so amazing. Seriously, a concert in a volcano?! You get to do and see so many neat things living on that island!! It's just amazing.

By the way, have you seen the pictures of the largest cave EVER, which was found in....I can't remember...Portugal maybe? I am drawing a blank, but the pictures online are AMAMAMAZING!!!!! Seriously, you will die when you see them.

Jessie said...

Wow, a concert in a volcano! That's something you'll be able to brag about forever :) Glad you had a great time! I've been to a volcano once on the Big Island of Hawaii, but that was definitely an ACTIVE volcano, as it was spewing lava out into the sea. No concerts there!

Enjoy the fresh fish! It looks delicious!

Astra Libris said...

WOW!!! SO COOL!! What a beautiful, incredible, rare experience!!!

chow and chatter said...

wow this is so cool, in the Canary islands I have been in Volcanos

Lori said...

Now that is a once in a lifetime experience. How cool! The food looks so great too!

Melissa said...

What a cool experience! I've been to some fun concerts, but never one inside a volcano. Thanks for sharing pictures and videos. :)

Post a Comment