Heading to Lisbon

Saturday was the day we were heading to mainland Europe.  Since my mom was staying at a hotel in Praia, and on Saturday’s the stores close at noon, Ryan and I headed downtown to spend the morning out and about.  We started off with some breakfast at Mimos Pasteleria.  While we waited for our egg sandwiches, we enjoyed these Dona Amelias and coffees.
 DSC03124
 DSC03125
Then the steaming hot sandwiches were served.
DSC03126

After walking around for a little bit, Ryan took us to the airport.  Our local airport is tiny.  Super tiny!
 DSC03127
 DSC03128
I love when they have these on the plane.
 DSC03129
We are just starting out here.  The flight from the island to Lisbon was only about 2 hours.
 DSC03130
They served a little snack pack, but it was meat, so I ate the little muffin instead.
 DSC03132
 DSC03134
I did think the coffee service was really cute.  Since I drink coffee now, this was the first flight I have been on where I paid attention to the coffee service.
Here we go…Mainland Portugal!

 DSC03139
When we arrived to the hotel there was a group of about 400 (per a hotel employee) getting back and they were served water bottles and sandwiches.  We tried to snatch something, but were unsuccessful.  I think they are German and I do not speak any German so I am sure I do not fit in with them.
 DSC03142
This is the hotel bar.
 DSC03143
Once we checked in, it was time for a shower and a quick rest before dinner.  I love the rooms here.  This is the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel and Spa and it is really nice.  I love the glass enclosed shower/tub that overlooks the bed.

The room is a good size.
 DSC03146
Oh, and the shower has blinds so that you can get some privacy.
 DSC03147
We finally headed out to dinner in the main restaurant park in Lisbon.  We decided to walk because it was only about 20-30 minutes away.  These are some buildings that I really thought were neat.
 DSC03148
 DSC03149
Heading downtown.
 DSC03150
They have tons of monuments and statues around.  I am not sure what they are all, but I did take a bunch of pictures of them.  This is at the main circle where we turned down the Avenida da Liberdade towards the restaurants.

They have a giant Portuguese flag and lawn area by this statue.
 DSC03155
There were beautiful tree lined streets everywhere.
 DSC03156
 DSC03157
 DSC03159
 DSC03160
They have these cute trolley cars.
 DSC03161
Yes, I am a Hard Rock Cafe junkie and I collect shirts.  I have been doing this ever since I watched an episode of Jeopardy and the contestant was asked about her Hard Rock shirt collection.  They wanted to know which shirt she thought she would never get and she responded with Reykjavik, which is in island.  Strangely, I was going to be in Reykjavik the next month, and I thought that was awesome that I could get that shirt when many other people never would.  Therefore, I started my collection knowing it would always be better than some girl on Jeopardy.  Yes, I am that weird.  I was a junior in high school at the time, so this was a while ago, but I still kept to my collection.  The Hard Rock Reykjavik no longer exists, and I still love to wear my shirt.
 DSC03163
 DSC03164
This street is a foodie’s dream.  It is lined with restaurants, all of which boast outdoor tables.  They are mostly Portuguese restaurants, but there is also a lot of Indian, and I even saw a mixed Asian restaurant.
 DSC03165
 DSC03166
We selected Indian because we knew we would get good vegetarian food, and the Portuguese places were similar to the same food we have been eating on the island.
 DSC03167
We started with some good papadum.
 DSC03168
I ordered a Sagres, which is a Portuguese beer.  I do drink this on the island.
 DSC03169
Veggie Samosas
 DSC03170
 DSC03171
Naan
 DSC03172
Rice
 DSC03173
Saag Aloo (Spinach and Potato)
 DSC03174
Vegetable Paneer
 DSC03175
Tandoori Shrimp
 DSC03177
After dinner, since it was still light out at 9 pm, we walked around the area.  They have lovely architecture here.  I love old buildings.  I minored in history when I was in college so I really enjoy historical things.
 DSC03180
 DSC03181
 DSC03182
We had to check out their McDonalds.  They were very busy.  Happy Meal anyone?
 DSC03183
Up on this hill was a castle or fortress.
 DSC03184
Very cool looking.
 DSC03185
 DSC03186
 DSC03187
Then we headed back to the square for some dessert.
 DSC03188
 DSC03189 
I love this version of rice pudding.  We do get this on the island too.
DSC03191
QUESTIONS:  Have you ever been to Portugal?  Do you like Indian food?  Do you collect anything from the Hard Rock Cafe?

8 comments:

Beth said...

I've never been to Portugal, but I hope to go one day. I don't collect Hard Rock stuff, but one of my friend's husband does, so I pick up stuff for him.

Now a question for you--is mainland Portugal World Cup crazy right now?

Kristen (swanky dietitian) said...

It looks like you are having a great time! Thanks for sharing.
It is funny cause my mom has started a Starbucks mug collection so whenever we go out of town, we also have to pick her up a mug saying the city. She has quite the collection.

Emily said...

So jealous of your world travels! I have never been to Portugal, but I do love Indian food. :-) I hope someday I can travel to all the places I've been wanting to go. Maybe when I actually have a job... :-)

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear said...

I love your hotel room, very classy! and Lisboa looks so beautiful :)

Mari said...

I am in love with all of the pictures! I love that shower in glass...so beautiful...

Is that shrimp,spicy? it looks wonderful

Thanks for taking so many great pictures and sharing with us! =) I have never been to Portugal but you made me feel like I was there...

chow and chatter said...

wow what fun and tasty Indian food have a good trip love Rebecca

Shannon said...

What an amazing trip you're having! Great way to celebrate a big birthday :)

Gina; The Candid RD said...

What a neat HArd Rock Cafe story!! I love it! How many do you have now?? I have only been to MAYBE three HArd Rock Cafes in my life. I need to travel more, and that is definitely a goal of Nick and mine. I may have to start buying more Hard Rock cafe shirts :) I used to wear one to sleep when I was five!

Post a Comment