Lasagna-thon, From Scratch

I am not 100% sure what we were thinking when it came to making our From Scratch Weekends meal for this week.  We decided to go with lasagna.  Sounds easy enough, right? 

We have made lasagna at home before, but used store bought noodles ands store bought sauce, so this was our time to do every part from scratch, or as close as we could get to scratch.  We started off by preparing some bread.  What is a classic Italian meal without Italian bread, right?
DSC02613
This recipe called for wheat bran and the closest I had was oat bran, so I made the substitution.
DSC02614
Here it is, ready to go in the bread machine.
DSC02615 When the machine was done kneading, it was time to remove the kneading paddle and…
DSC02616

add the sesame seeds.
DSC02619
DSC02620

Here is the finished product.
DSC02626
DSC02627
DSC02629

 Ryan did the slicing for us to have a little taste.DSC02631
DSC02632
It was delicious.  We actually made this a day in advance to save us some time on Sunday.
 DSC02633
Then began the real fun.  Here are the recipes for the lasagna dish, complete with homemade noodles and sauce.
 DSC02673
 DSC02674
 DSC02677
I started with the roasted veggies.  I had limited selection on veggies and these were the best eggplants I could find.
DSC02675
 DSC02678
 DSC02679
DSC02680
Here they are after the roasting.  While this was in the oven for 40 minutes, we worked on the other components.
DSC02692
   DSC02691
Ryan began working on the sauce.  Here you have the basics.  If you have taken a cooking class before or just like to cook a lot, you will know this as mirepoix, which is carrots, onion and celery.  This is a common base for many items, mostly stocks, soups and sauces.
DSC02683
The last time we skinned and deseeded tomatoes, we did it this way, instead of the boil method.  The roasting winds up giving it a smoky flavor. 
DSC02684
Once the skin starts to crack, it makes it very easy to peel off.
 DSC02686
Here is the sauce once the tomatoes were added.  We did add 2 TBSP of canned tomato paste here because there was really no way around that.
 DSC02688
By now we were about 2 or so hours into the lasagna-thon, and we couldn’t hold out on getting to the bottle of wine.  This is a green wine from mainland Portugal.
DSC02689 
After a few sips of wine, we started back up again.  Now it was time for the pasta.

Our nextdoor neighbor gave us these eggs from their chickens, so we thought this would be a great time to use them.
DSC02693
I swear to you know who, this is not as easy as the recipe and instruction book makes it sound.  It is always so dry and then when we add more liquid, it is always to much.  If you have perfected the Kitchenaid recipe, let me know! 
DSC02694
After TOO much time messing around with this dough and the extruder, we FINALLY had some success.  I say some success because I do not think the noodles were supposed to split down the middle, but they did.
  DSC02701
Here are the noodles, ready to be boiled.
DSC02702
Getting them out was a little tricky.  They kept slipping out of the tongs.
DSC02703
The last step was the cheese filling.  The ricotta and parmesan were made into the filling. 
DSC02696
We used the block cheese and shredded this ourselves.
DSC02698

DSC02700
Then I shredded the mozzarella, which was also used in the layers of the lasagna.
DSC02697
 DSC02699
Finally, finally, finally, we were ready to layer the ingredients and get this in the oven.
DSC02704
 DSC02705
 DSC02709
 DSC02710
Here we are, ready to go.  Now from this point, we still had 45 minutes of baking in the oven, and then 15 more to cool.
DSC02711

 DSC02712
Here we are at meal service.  Oh yes!  Just a SHORT 5 hours after we started making the lasagna, we were ready to eat.
DSC02713
Here is our meal, in all it’s glory.
DSC02714

 DSC02715
My dinner plate.
DSC02716
Well worth it.  Probably the best lasagna I have ever had.  There are tons of leftovers, both in the fridge and the freezer.
DSC02717 
Although this meal was delicious, and worth it, I am not so sure I will spend 5 hours making lasagna ever again.
There you have, Lasagna-thon, From Scratch!!!

QUESTIONS:  Have you ever made lasagna from scratch (not just this much from scratch, but with store bought noodles and sauce)?  What is your favorite kind of lasagna?

10 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! 5 hours! I am so impressed! I love lasagna...so much I don't think I could wait 5 hours to make it! My hat is off to you :)

Simply Life said...

WOW! Way to go! I've never made my own noodles - I am impressed!

Beth said...

The only time I ever made lasanga was that white chicken lasanga I posted. This looks amazing!

Mari said...

I have been craving a veggie lasanga for the longest time! your looks fabulous!

Unknown said...

oh boy does that look deeeelish!
I have bought noodles and sauce and "Made" lasagna before...and we have made pasta (linguine and ravioli)...so i guess that counts :)
i could eat it everyday and my mom says that's ok!! LOL!
spinach and ricotta please!

Ameena said...

You are nothing short of amazing...how on earth does one make their own noodles!!! I can barely pull a lasagna together with store-bought noodles. :)

And I am so impressed with the fact that you've made naan from scratch! You are an inspiration.

PS: My mom would have loved to have you as her daughter. :)

Chef Dennis Littley said...

what an incredible meal....I have never even thought about making lasagna noodles....lol....and you have just reaffirmed that....too much work!! but you are just spectacular!! and that lasagna looked oh so good!!
thanks so much for sharing and all of your efforts into making such a memorable and wonderful meal!!
Cheers
Dennis

Melissa said...

Wow!!!!

Well worth all of the work. That lasagna looks amazing! Can I come to dinner at your house? :)

sophia said...

This is just...SO impressive! Melinda, you seriously never fail to rock my socks off....and make me drool too! Always a puddle of drool and envy...I'd love to be in the same kitchen as you!

Sook said...

That is AMAZING Melinda! I would have never thought to make the noodles and bread all at the same time! You're a hard worker. :) Looks delicious.

Post a Comment