Farewell Breakfast for Marie

I suppose at times we are a little spoiled here with the weather.  It rains most of the winter time, but we do get some nice days and the temps are still around the low 60's during the day, most days.  On Marie's last day here, the weather was perfect for eating breakfast outside at a cafe.  We went into Praia, but it was slim pickings on places to eat since most things were closed due to a national holiday (basicaly it equates to Fat Tuesday).  We went to a place that is popular among Americans and is located right in the main square.  We just call it Pizza OK because of this sign, but I really think it is the Santa Cruz Cafe.
Who can resist fresh, warm pastries.  This was mine, and it was filled with apple.
Marie had a chocolate croissant.
Then we also had some "real" breakfast.  Marie had eggs with ham and cheese and toast.
I went with just the eggs and toast.
We got to enjoy our breakfast sitting outside in the main square of Praia and then I took Marie over to the beach so she could walk on it one last time before heading home.

Well, that was it for Marie's stay.  She made it back to the States safely with only some minor delays for the weather there.

The weekend after Marie left, which was last weekend, Ryan and I were again walking around Praia, and so we stopped at Pizza OK, same place where I had the breakfast above.  We were down in Praia after most things were closed for the day, and we know this place is always open, so it is easy.  This time, since it was lunch, we got some pizza.  This is with pineapple and red peppers.  I am almost certain we have gotten this before.  It was tasty.  Not the best pizza ever, but it is good for Portuguese pizza. 
When we came home we spotted this scene across from our house.
That is one majorly big bull (cow) right there.  Yes, I stood on my driveway and actually took pictures of this huge fella.  Let's just say that this farmer had a difficult time getting him to move up the hill and into the field.
See, sorta difficult here.  The bull is putting up a good fight.
Finally heading up the hill.
So, that is how we wound up with the big guy in front of our house.  I sometimes feel like a tourist in my own neighborhood because I will stop and try to snap pictures of everything that is not American.  Like the donkey or mule carrying supplies down the road, or the cows being herded through the village streets.  I see some interesting things here, mostly how I would imagine things were done in the US back in the day.  Horses and donkeys are actual modes of transportation here for working farmers and those carrying supplies to and from the fields.

QUESTIONS:  Have you ever felt like a tourist in your neighborhood or hometown?  Have you ever taken pictures of something because it seemed so out of place?

14 comments:

Beth said...

Don't feel bad for taking pictures around your house--I do it all the time, and I don't live anywhere nearly as interesting as you do! You have to catch what's exciting in your every day though!

Shannon said...

What a breakfast! Those pastries look amazing!

That's too funny about the cow. I imagine if I lived in a foreign place there would be many instances of feeling like something was out of place. But I can't say that anything too noteworthy has happened here.

Simply Life said...

YUM! That pizza looks soooo good!

MelissaNibbles said...

Between the cows and the bulls I don't know how you get any peace! hahaha!

Unknown said...

HAHA, yes, when I take people to Cafe Hon or the Inner Harbor :)

I always take pics of weird things...one should always have a camera on them!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I take pictures of weird shit almost on a daily basis! Luckily my family is used to it by now!

Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

That pastry and chocolate croissant look sooo good!
I think you can understand having lived in Vegas, you can feel like a tourist a lot of the time. Whenever I have family or friends in town, we usually do the tourist thing.
Have a nice weekend!

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

haha so funny you asked this because someone was just telling me about something in boston (my home town) and I had NO idea where it was! she legit had to take out a map and show me even though I grew up here!! so yes, that happens!

and yes I always take pics of wierd things, my friends family and BF are used to it by now lol

Mari said...

This post should have come with a warning! way too many yummy baked goods!!!! ((((drooling))))

Nicole, RD said...

Haha, that's hilarious about the bull! I totally felt that way when we moved from Chicago to Oklahoma. I remember going to set up out water and there were cattle out on the roads. It was called "Rural Water Supply" -- haha! I still feel like a tourist in Tulsa a lot of the time and we've been here a year! But I was the same way in Italy. I love the change!

Have a great weekend, Melinda!

chow and chatter said...

you will have the best memories of this place in future love it

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Well you definitely have experiences that I have never had, especially here in Columbus. I have never felt like a tourist, because I've lived here my whole life. I guess sometimes when I go to OSU Buckeye games, and get all gitty and excited, and take pictures, that sometimes gives me the feeling of being a tourist!

I'm glad you had a nice time with Maria. It looks like you guys really did the rounds when it comes to all the need restaurants and bakeries. This place reminds me of a French restaurant we used to go to as a kid. They had the BEST croissants, and my favorite was the one with chocolate in side, like Marie's. Oh man, it was wonderful.

Have a great weekend Melinda! I am posting my from scratch pizza on Sunday :)

kristen :) said...

I love seeing your crazy adventures right by your house! and flaky pastries, yum! I always feel like a tourist when and if we ever go down on the strip. I of course have to take the camera so people always ask where we're from and I say oh right here! lol have a good weekend :)

FoodFitnessFreshair said...

Oh how I long to eat breakfast outside! And chocolate croissants outside, even better :)

Post a Comment