Ben & Jerry’s, From Scratch

Surely we did not make Ben & Jerry’s ice cream from scratch…oh yes, we totally did.  It must be an overload of colorful produce that led us to this dire need for some ice cream.  What better way to enjoy ice cream than to make it from scratch.

When I bought Ryan an ice cream maker, I also bought him a Ben and Jerry’s cookbook.  I mean, if you are going to make ice cream, it should be pure heaven.

One flavor we have trouble getting around here is New York Superfudge Brownie.  It is not that they do not have it, it is just that it has awful freezer burn and the brownie bits are dried out.  If I am going to use up that many calories on a treat, it should at least taste exceptional, and thus we decided to make it ourselves. 

We started off by making the brownies.  So nice of Ben & Jerry’s to give us the recipe for the brownie too.
 DSC08422
Nothing like starting with some baking chocolate.  Too bad we forgot it was unsweetened when we went to taste the mixture. 
DSC08423
We did a make shift version of a double boiler by taking a glass bowl and resting it on a pot of water.
DSC08424 DSC08425
Ryan handled the additional ingredients.
 DSC08426
I helped out by adding in the chocolate mixture which we cooled just briefly in the fridge.
 DSC08427
Then Ryan let me mix it all up.
 DSC08428
So I was thinking cake pan, and not sure why, other than my correct sized brownie pan was in the fridge with food in it.
 DSC08430 DSC08431
The result was a little extra cooking time needed to get the brownies cooked all the way through.
 DSC08432 DSC08434
The brownie recipe did not disappoint.
The very next day we got started on the ice cream.  We had to let the ice cream bowl chill in the freezer for a period of time and that is why we took 2 days for this.  The recipe called for us to use their sweet cream base, with some additional vanilla.
 DSC08435
Looks like it really wants to be ice cream.
 DSC08436
So we poured it in and let it go!
 DSC08437
Just before it was finished with the ice cream we added in frozen brownie chunks.  When making ice cream and adding in extras you want them really well chilled or they will be too warm and make trouble for the freezing of the ice cream mixture.
 DSC08438
In those went, and up rose the ice cream.  Then we knew it was ready…or rather it HAD to be ready.
 DSC08439
I transferred it to a storage container and let it freeze.  It took almost a full day for it to be harder like an ice cream.  Too bad by that time it was almost all gone!
 DSC08440
There you have it, Ben & Jerry’s for a From Scratch Weekends adventure.

QUESTIONS:  Have you ever made homemade ice cream?  What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Before I forget, today is Registered Dietitian Day, so Happy RD Day to all those dietitians out there.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I got an ice cream maker from Matt's parents! We have made mint chocolate chip and regular chocolate chip, as well as orange/cranberry sorbet! nom nom nom!

Melinda Walker said...

We have an old school hand crank ice cream maker and the Ben and Jerry's book. We have made many a delish batch of ice cream. I think our fave to make is heath bar crunch. Soo good. The most difficult was chocolate chip cookie dough. Making the dough into little balls was time consuming and sticky. We made a lot of ice cream while living at Lajes. It was a fun thing to do when we had BBQ's.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Happy Registered Dietitian Day!

What a cool from scratch project! LOVE it!!! I've never made ice cream, but I make banana soft serve often and have the toddler convinced that it's ice cream... :)

Kristen (swanky dietitian) said...

Happy RD Day!
I love that you made ice cream from scratch. I really need to start making more things completely from scratch. I am sure it tastes so much better also!

Melissa said...

Oh My! Amazing!

I love that not only did you make ice cream, but you went all out and made a delicious Ben & Jerry's flavor. Sooo jealous. I need an ice cream maker.

Jessie said...

Wow, I am very impressed with your From Scratch recipe, Melinda! An ice cream that takes 3 days ... you must have really wanted that flavor ;) And I can see why! I forget how hard it can be to get certain things where you are ... especially Ben and Jerry's, since we live in a neighboring state to VT and I've been to their factory! Good call on chilling the add ins before making the ice cream - I never would have though of that.

Happy RD Day to one of my fav RDs! :D

Shannon said...

I am drooling! I had to give up dairy and soy because by baby has reflux and the proteins in my milk may be contributing. Boy I miss ice cream and baked goods!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Happy POST RD day to you too!! And what a great way to celebrate...with homemade Ben and Jerry's ice cream!! Yum. Looks delicious.

Post a Comment