Tamarillo Adventures

Ever heard of a tamarillo?

Me either.  That is until a few weeks ago when I spotted it in the store.  I was think tomatillo, but that wasn't it, and it was in with the fruits.  Not to mention it was pricey, so I passed.  After passing by and passing by, I caved, and bought one.

Meet the tamarillo...
 DSC08495
It looks like a nectarine skin, but a softer flesh, and a different shape.  It even resembles a nectarine in color inside, but that is where the similarities end.
DSC08497
Here is some information from www.tamarillo.com:
Tantalise your tastebuds with the exotic tamarillo.
Just dig a spoon in, eat it raw, or tempt yourself with one of our tasty smoothie, pizza, muffin, dinner or dessert recipes. Juicy and packed with goodness the tamarillo fruit is a very good source of vitamin C, and is low in fat and calories. 
Add sliced red, amber, and gold tamarillos to your cheese-boards, salads and decorate your dishes for a distinctive look and flavour. Tamarillos can be poached, fried, grilled, baked or casseroled to add taste and nutrition to every meal.
The website also gives some nutrition information:
  • Low in fat and hence calories
  • Low in carbohydrates and the carbohydrate present is mainly in the form of fibre
  • High in potassium but extremely low in sodium, which is a desirable balance for a healthy diet
  • Contains other trace elements important for health, in particular copper and manganese
  • Source of fibre
  • Source of Vitamin A, B6 and C. Also contains Vitamin E and Thiamine
Not that I needed to list those facts for you here, it is a fruit and you can imagine it packs in some good nutrition.

The flavor is very tart, but in a good way.  The inside is juicy and contains edible seeds.  It is hard to explain what these are like, but it reminds me of a nectarine and passion fruit, but tangier.  I give this 2 thumbs up.  I wish that they had the other 2 colors here to try, but they only offer the red ones at the commissary.  I'll be buying this again.


DSC08499 DSC08500

Ryan's mom and aunt (they are twins!) are coming to visit later this week.  I know I will wind up with many pictures of all the fun, so I need to clean out the folder of pictures on my desktop that are just piling up.  Please excuse the randomness...it's for a good cause.

Ryan made me this fun egg and cheese on a bagel sandwich.  A little like Mickey Mouse.

 DSC08501
We tried some more ice cream.  Too bad it was not freezing and the motor overheated.  We got creative and used the immersion blender to aerate the mixture and then froze it anyway.  We seem to be striking out in the kitchen recently.  Oh well, we are making the most of it.
DSC08502
I bought this when I was in the States.  I am still wondering how this actually made it to store shelves.  Really? Crunchy Nut?  Nuts in Every Bite?
DSC08489
Plus, it was not all that good.
DSC08490
Wanna talk about random?  Grandpa, I know you are reading, so this is for you.

My grandfather decided some time ago that he wanted to buy a bike in a bag.  This way it is portable.  Good idea, right?  Wrong?  He was so worried he would never get it back in the bag that he never took it out.
DSC08492
My grandfather just sent it to us and Ryan assembled it.  I will take a picture of the thing out of the bag as soon as I can.  Here is what it looks like before becoming a ridable bike.
DSC08493
How funny is that?

QUESTIONS:  Have you ever seen or tried a tamarillo?  Any new produce finds?

4 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I had never heard of tamarillos. Thanks for all the info. I'll have to look for them, and try one!

Simply Life said...

oh this is so fun to know about! thanks for sharing, now I can say I've heard of one! :)

Astra Libris said...

Oooo, I've never seen a tamarillo before! So beautiful!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Bike in a BAG?! That's too funny! I've never heard of such a thing. My grandpa actually used to SELL bikes form his home :) Not bikes in a bag though, ha!

I've never heard of a tamarillo. I love that it has vitamin E. The only other fruit I know of that has vitamin E is a kiwi.

Post a Comment