Congrats to those who will promote to Master Sergeant!!!

 This past Thursday, members of the Air Force testing for promotion to Master Sergeant, found out how they did.  Congratulations to everyone who passed.  One of our friends here did pass and will promote in the future.  To celebrate, a group of use went to a near by restaurant to celebrate.  The restaurant selected was O Pescador, and the last time we went there, the quality had declined drastically.  We were a little skeptical, but we gave it a try.

The used to bring really great cheeses to the table, but now it is just bread and butter, plus a spreadable cheese.
DSC02601
They had a new fresh fish case in the front, so I though I would scope this out.
 DSC02602
 DSC02603
Ryan ordered the wreck fish.  Usually it is grilled, but this presentation was with a creamy sauce on top of vegetables.
 DSC02604
This is probably their most popular dish, and even the last time we were here, and Marie ordered this, it was the only thing that was good about the whole meal.  This is the swordfish with sweet potatoes (underneath).
 DSC02605
I ordered the parrot fish (AKA veja) which is the same thing I always order.  It is usually on the salty side (think fresh from the ocean and still tastes like the sea), but this time it was actually much better.  This was served over tomatoes and potatoes.  It used to come with a creamy sauce similar to thins and also had chopped up shrimp.
 DSC02606
It was a really nice piece of fish.
DSC02607
Overall, this was a good meal and MUCH improved from the last time.  The trouble was that the chef left, and when we last went the new chef had not yet changed the menu.  So he was cooking things he was not comfortable with, at least that was the impression that we got from the conversation.  I am glad to know that things are back on track.  I am especially glad the parrot fish was good because we have a going away party there this weekend and now I know what I am going to order.

In an effort to prevent my pictures from piling up again, I also want to share with you Sunday mornings donut run.  I guess I was dreaming about donuts because I woke up craving one.

Ryan ordered a double galao to get his day started.  It is a double shot of espresso.
 DSC02665
I had my usual meia de leite.
DSC02666
Here is the view from the window at Make Me Nuts, the donut shop.  On a clearer day the ocean looks much better.
 DSC02667
It looks like a kid's meal.
 DSC02668
I figured just a donut for breakfast was not the best idea, so I ordered some eggs too.
 DSC02669
Ryan ordered a baguette mista.  This was a hot ham and cheese on a baguette.
 DSC02670
 DSC02671
Then it was time for the donuts.  They were super yummy and a nice treat.
 DSC02672
QUESTIONS:  Have you ever ordered your favorite dish only to discover the chef that night was new or different?  Have you noticed variations in food when there is a different chef?  What is your favorite kind of donut?


***UPDATE***  I just wanted to share some details with all of you about my upcoming trip.  I will be turning 30 in just under 2 weeks.  My mom and step dad will be coming to visit me on the island.  From there we are heading to Portugal, Spain and Morocco.  I am super excited for the trip, but at the same time I am sad because Ryan can't take off from work.  I hope to be able to travel with him soon.  I intend to post some while I am away, but I will never have the time to post every day, or maybe even every other day.  I am looking forward to sharing my adventures with everyone.  In the time I am unable to post, I would really like to have some of my reader's do guest posts.  It can be on any topic.  So, if you would like to do a guest post, please let me know.  Send me an email: melinda_seff @ yahoo dot com or you can leave me a comment here.

6 comments:

Beth said...

I'm excited about your trip too! Can't wait to see all of the lovely new place you show us!

Kristen (swanky dietitian) said...

Those donuts look yummy! I love your coffee drinks too! Perfect combo!
I have definitely been to restaurants where I loved then went back and had a horrible experience. That is such a bummer!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Oh man, I never eat donuts but I got a honey glazed last weekend and it was really good. Sugar coma came on about an hour later!

Mari said...

Wow I wish I was spending my 30th doing that too. I will live vicariously through you lol

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the restaurant experience, despite your past experience there! I have ordered a couple foods where I could tell the chef was new (or at least there was someone new cooking). Many times they just dont't give me as much and they skimp on ingredients, that's when I notice things like that.

Your trip sounds FANTASTIC! I didn't know you were turning 30 soon. Exciting! Nick threw a fit when he turned 30, literally. haha, it was funny, at first....

Shannon said...

Mmmmm! I can't remmeber the last time I had a donut. Those look so fresh!

Your trip sounds amazing! I wish I had time to write a post for you...unfortunatley, with a 6 week course of organic chem, my own blog is dying a slow death!

Post a Comment